Flickr Widget

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mid-century landscaping: perennials

I've almost stopped planting anything but perennials, because of their low maintenance. Many lend themselves beautifully to mid-century landscaping and are very easy to grow. Although they are somewhat more expensive to plant initially, the fact that they come back every year and therefore don't require replanting makes them worth every penny to me. Here are a few suggestions:    
  
Horsetail reed
Horsetail reed
Cape Rush
Cape Rush
Cape rush
papyrus
Papyrus
Papyrus
kangaroo paws
Kangaroo Paw
New Zealand Flax
New Zealand Flax
New Zealand Flax and cordyline
cordyline
Cordyline   
purple fountain grass
Fountain Grass
All photos from eichlerforsale.com

Some of these plants work well in pots too. I have a huge clump of fountain grass in a very large, flat bowl. It is surrounded by other smaller plants, some annuals and some smaller perennials. Although fountain grass is deciduous, the dry structure remains upright and is still very impressive during the winter.


My bowl of fountain grass in the fall
Horsetail reed has become my new favorite plant after seeing a huge stand of it along a fence in front of a  store in the Dallas Design District that specializes in outdoor decor. I don't think it will grow in my yard though, because I have huge 60-year-old trees shading almost every inch of planting space. If that can present a problem for me in warm, sunny North Central Texas, I'm sure it's a common problem for many mid-century home owners.

The Plant Hardiness Zones divide the United States and Canada into 11 areas. Suitable hardiness means a plant can be expected to grow in the zone's temperature extremes, as determined by the lowest average annual temperature. You can ask your local nursery about plants suited to your zone that have a similar appearance.

17 comments:

  1. I've seen horsetails growing in very shady areas... That's where I got my starter clump. But they are invasive, so be warned. ;) I think it's why we usually see it planted in planters.

    So is papyrus (there are two common kinds, I had the other kind) if you don't watch where babies pop up and pull them while they are young.

    But I love all of these plants! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot of the plants I love tend to be invasive. I'm crazy about that bright orange trumpet vine, but it can pop up babies halfway across the yard! Good to know that horsetail reed can grow in the shade. I figured it wouldn't grow in my yard at all.

      Delete
  2. I've got to work on my backyard landscaping this summer - even though it's mostly concrete patio. This is great inspiration! I love Horsetail reeds and Papyrus. In the front yard I have a Cordyline and another that looks similar but grows tall stems with tiny white flowers -can't remember what it's called. I'm excited for warmer weather and planting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About this time of year I get really antsy to get started, but I usually wait till at least the end of April, because we can still have unexpected cold weather in March. But, thank goodness, just another month of things looking dreary.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to write down the names of all these plants and slowly include them into our landscaping....after we build our house. I may have this list in my wallet for a few years! I suppose I could start them in containers now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those will work well for you. The list came from a real estate agency in California. They, or something similar, all do well here in Texas too, because both our states are mostly in Zones 8-10, with a few tiny areas in 6 and 7.

      Delete
  4. I can tell you first hand that Horse Tail is invasive. Planted in planters, or otherwise in sectioned bed they are hardy and will thrive, even in shade. One problem if let to get out of control is that there are no leaves to spray Roundup on, so it will not kill the plant. Pulling up every plant is tedious and you have to get the roots as they multiply by runners. Nice plant to have but keep in pots or a sectioned off bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding out that it is invasive is almost welcome news to me, considering where I want to put it, because I need something that will be hardy, grow fast and get very thick. I have a section of my yard bounded by a privacy fence and driveway, so it would be completely sectioned off. Part of the bed gets almost no light and part gets dappled light, so it sounds like it would be perfect for my needs.

      Delete
  5. Love it. I can't wait to start once it gets warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awful to have warm, sunny days but have to wait to be sure the cold nights are over?

      Delete
  6. Oh these are so beautiful! Love them all... I wish I could plant those here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you? Maybe some of the other readers could make some suggestions for your area...for ground planting or for pots that you could bring inside.

      Delete
  7. Yup zone 8 here too. The flax is something Mom had planted here too.

    I can't wait to get my yards landscaped!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the inspiration! These are all gorgeous! We are going to get back out in our yard a little today, but no planting yet. One thing I wanted to see if you had any recommendations about (or anyone else!) is ground cover. Since our yard is in full sun almost all day long, and floods out during bad rains, my husband and I have been thinking about trying a ground cover plant in addition to (or in place of...?) mulch. I love the look of Creeping Thyme and read that it will work in full sun and doesn't require pruning, but I'm just not sure if ground cover plants are a good idea. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people here in Texas use asiatic jasmine or lantana. I think ground cover looks great, especially if your yard slopes up toward the house.

      Delete
  9. I really want this type of landscaping for my own home. I love all the "how-to" suggestions. I am not that handy, however. I was wondering if you could direct me to someone who could do this for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think a local nursery would be your best bet for recommendations. Angie's List might be a good idea too.

      Delete