Flickr Widget

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Then and now: Wormley ads

From the late 1950s to the mid-1960s, Dunbar Furniture produced a series of unique ads for Edward Wormley's designs. The photos for the ads were taken outdoors, and the technique was called the "seamless room." These ads have become very collectible.













A few years ago, Dunbar Furniture reissued a line of Wormley furniture and made a decision to use similar images for their catalog. These new photos are just as charming as the ones in the original ads and demonstrate how timeless Edward Wormley's designs are.














I predict that these catalogs will someday be collectible in their own right. To order one, contact Dunbar Furniture.

3 comments:

  1. Were these in magazines? I have some American Home and House Beautifuls I haven't looked through yet... wonder if there are any in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @DearHelenHartman: As far as I know, the old ones were in magazines (but I don't know which ones), and the new ones were used in Dunbar's print catalog for the reissue of Wormley's designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @DearHelenHartman again: I noticed a copyright date of 2003 on a photo of the Dunbar catalog, so I'm a little late getting to the party!

    ReplyDelete