Flickr Widget

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Kobenstyle is finally back!

After an absence of more than 20 years, Dansk is producing its iconic modernist Kobenstyle cookware again, and it's being made available exclusively at Crate and Barrel at first. At a later date, it may be carried by other retailers.

Designed for Dansk by Jens Quistgaard in 1956, the line of enameled steel oven-to-table cookware has remained extremely popular with collectors. Originally manufactured in Denmark, in 1966 Dansk changed to a French manufacturer. The early Danish pieces have the "four ducks" logo and are generally preferred by collectors. (Trivia: Dansk was started by the American entrepreneurs Ted and Martha Nierenberg and has always been an American company, despite its somewhat misleading name. It is owned today by the Lenox Corporation.)

The original line included a casserole in two sizes with uniquely sculptural lids and handles, a baking pan, paella pan, stockpot, frying pan, pitcher, coffee pot, butter warmer and a fondue pot. Over the years, Kobenstyle was produced in black, white, yellow, red, blue, turquoise, kelly green, hunter green, brown and almond, usually with a white interior.

The new line was originally expected to be produced in red, blue and white, as reported back in March on sites such as Apartment Therapy and Altruism in the Morning. However, some last-minute production changes must have taken place, because Crate and Barrel is offering it in red, black and white. The line includes a 4-quart casserole for $99.95 (suggested $143), a 6-quart casserole for $119.95 (suggested $172), a 16"Wx10"Dx2.33"H rectangular baker for $99.95 (suggested $143) and a 16-ounce butter warmer for $39.95 (suggested $58.)


crateandbarrel.com
crateandbarrel.com
crateandbarrel.com

8 comments:

  1. You have me very excited Dana, now I'm off to see it's availability in this design backwater, called Oz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that Crate and Barrel ships internationally, but I have no idea what shipping costs would be.

      Delete
  2. WOW! I have some of the old stuff and I love it and use it. What a great decision to bring it back!

    I love the names Ted and Martha ... hey! I have kids called Ted and Martha! ;)

    Are you going to get some kitchenware Dana?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a brilliant decision to bring it back, and I bet the make a fortune with it. I'm really tempted to buy some, but I can't decide which color.

      Back in the late 60s I had a full set of Le Creuset in blue. Like a ninny, I sold it for pennies in a garage sale and have regretted it ever since.

      My mom's name was Martha, so I have a sentimental spot for it too. :)

      Delete
    2. That Le Creuset revelation is a bad one. You need to make up for your loss in the form of some red Kobenstyle. Lots of red Kobenstyle.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I almost didn't reveal that about myself, for fear of coming off like a total idiot. :)

      Delete
  3. This is so awesome! But I have to say I'm really disappointed that they're not making it in blue, turquoise, or kelly green. I'd live to mis and match a set of those colors (with the white)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to have white, yellow and orange. Maybe they'll add more colors if all of us buy some white or black pieces as an act of good faith and then write them about the other colors we'd like to see offered.

      Delete