Flickr Widget

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Identified! Finally.

Sometimes the identification process takes a long time. Years, even.

Back in March of 2011...the day before we opened the first store on Exposition...I posted about some beautiful yellow safari chairs we'd found. We had no idea who designed or manufactured them. We just knew they were cool. They sold quickly, but we never forgot those chairs or stopped wondering what they were. Some pieces stick with you like that.


These safari chairs remained a mystery for over two years.


Yesterday I got a phone call from my SIL. All he said was, "Finally..." When I asked him what he meant, he refused to explain and told me to check my email.

He had sent me a link to an eBay listing that positively identifies the chairs as Brown-Saltman. The chairs on eBay have their original tags, putting to rest all our wild guesses. I immediately went to my old post and corrected the "Danish safari chairs" caption. Ooops! What newbies we were back then!



Brown-Saltman safari chairs
ebay.com -- retro-redemption

Brown-Saltman tags on black safari chairs
ebay.com -- retro-redemption

It took a while to solve this mystery, but I think it's safe to close the books on it, once and for all.

9 comments:

  1. I don't care what they are, they are divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how we felt about them when we found them in a tiny shop in Oklahoma.

      Delete
  2. I like your original find in the yellow. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were absolutely stunning in yellow...even better than that photo shows. That was before we had much experience taking pictures of furniture.

      Delete
  3. Yay! I love it when a mystery is solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...and this one in particular has driven us crazy for so long. Then, as always, you find the answer when you least expect it.

      A friend had told my SIL about a Brown-Saltman table on eBay, and these turned up when he was looking for it.

      Delete
  4. I always learn so much from you. You are my mid century modern guru....lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I've found out over the past three years is that you never stop learning about this stuff. When I first started blogging, I was afraid I'd run out of things to post about, but I've barely scratched the surface.

      Delete
    2. No kidding on the learning curve! There is way too much to learn at every turn in the road and I personally find it facinating. I recently sold a Brown-Saltman chest here at the store that, although in need of some work, sold quickly. They manufactured some great looking pieces!

      Delete