Flickr Widget

Friday, July 12, 2013

Modern finds: Soap Stones

I love simple accessories that look equally at home with vintage modern and contemporary design. I also love beautiful soaps, and I've found some that I have to try. These would look fantastic in a modern bathroom...a large one by itself in a soap dish or several in a bowl or a clear jar on a windowsill.

PELLE Designs offers what they call Soap Stones, beautiful gems of handcrafted glycerine soap that are intended for use and display. They are made of all natural, vegetable-based ingredients.

Soap Stones come in a palette of seven colors which draw from the naturally occurring colors in real gemstones such as rose quartz, aquamarine and metamorphic rock such as jade and onyx. The stones are cut in three sizes: 2 ounce, 5 ounce and 10 ounce.

The price for a 10 ounce stone is $32, while the 5 ounce is $16 and the 2 ounce is $8. Seconds, which are approximately 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1", sell for $3.50.

Color and scent combinations are:  amber/cedarwood, jade/eucalyptus, onyx/cassia, rose quartz/grapefruit, citrine/lemon basil, aquamarine/camphor and crystal/unscented.


Soap Stones by PELLE Designs
pelledesigns.com

22 comments:

  1. They look like sea glass. very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would be so pretty with the sun shining through them.

      Delete
  2. What an absolutely brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that they're made to resemble the natural stone.

      Delete
  3. They look divine. Have you bought any? What do they smell like? I remember The Body Shop's range of glycerine soaps. They smelt and lathered beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the glycerine soaps I've ever bought lathered very well. I bet these have an amazing smell.

      Delete
  4. Those are neat! But what happens the first time you use them- do they get all dull? Hehe, we will all have to get some and try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always had good luck with glycerine soaps. It would be very much like Neutrogena. If you wash all the bubbles off after you use it, it would still be perfectly translucent, I bet.

      Delete
  5. Or buy some Melt & Pour from Hobby Lobby (or equivalent) and make your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through a major soap making phase back in the early 2000s. I was waaaay into the Primal Elements loaf soaps sold at Central Market (Orange Cantaloupe and Ariel), and I was spending a fortune on them, so I started making my own. It was fun at the time, but these days I'd get right in the middle of it, and in would march the boys to "help." :)

      Delete
  6. We are in the process of renovating our bathroom and these would look beautiful! Thanks for sharing about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you buy some, let us know how you liked them.

      Delete
  7. So pretty! Love to see new stuff and don't always have time to track them all down. Glad you shared this. You're a "jewel"!
    If you buy some, please give us a review. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first of a series of post I'm going to do on Fridays about cool accessories for a modernist home. I think it should be fun.

      Delete
  8. Nothing like the soap stone I used to have. Those are much nicer and look like jewels. I've never seen any before, but then being a fellow I go to the soap pick up a pack of some brand and go on my merry way.

    Back to soap stone, there is a stone called soap stone. I do not remember its proper name. I know it is soft and markers are made from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remember (from a geology class 40 years ago) the real soapstone, a somewhat flaky, talc-like stone, if I'm not mistaken...but I didn't know it was used to make markers. Once you mentioned it, I had to look it up and found that it's used to mark welds. Interesting! It truly is possible to learn something new every day.

      Delete
  9. Stunning! The older I get the less I am enamored of perfumes and make up and the more stock I put in good soaps! It's the advice I give young women - there is no substitute for good soap and if it's also pretty, more the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a good soap makes you feel more pampered than perfume does!

      Delete
  10. Those certainly look better than any Neutrogena bar I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granted, I've never tried to carve a bar of Neutrogena into a gem...but I guess I'm up for the challenge.

      Delete
  11. Those are pretty neat if I do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete