Flickr Widget

Monday, November 16, 2015

Horns of Plenty

With Thanksgiving almost upon us, here's a look back at the cornucopia, also known as the horn of plenty, which was a popular mid-century design element. While frequently seen as a vase or candy dish made of ceramic or glass, wire and rattan were also popular materials for larger fruit bowls. It was often found in the jewelry box as well, filled with pearls or multi-colored rhinestones.


Blenko cornucopia
1stdibs.com

Wire horn of plenty
chairish.com

Val St. Lambert cornucopia
ebay.com - antiquarianhome

Wire cornucopia
laurelleaffarm.com

Black ceramic cornucopia
etsy.com - PlaceMichel

Vintage pin
weheartvintage.co

Vintage pin
etsy.com - PennyPaperCompany


For a modern twist on an old favorite, I like this succulent-filled cornucopia I saw today on Making Lemonade.


makinglemonadeblog.com

17 comments:

  1. I don't remember seeing such varieties. The blue glass one is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I remember best were either woven rattan or black wire, usually filled with artificial fruit. Almost every kitchen in my family, as well as those of my friends, had one. I really like the Blenko version too. We sold a couple of them in the store, and I wouldn't mind having one for myself.

      Delete
  2. I remember my mother having a ceramic one with fake fruit in it. :) Love that blue glass one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was there anything our mothers didn't put fake fruit in? More on that topic in a few days... :)

      Delete
  3. I have a green one...much like the blue one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'm going to invite myself over to look at all your treasures!

      Delete
  4. Love the Blenko, but also that black ceramic one, too! Thanks for the timely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that black one is beautiful too, and I love they way they have it filled. It's 11" long and $28 on Etsy...a fair price, I think.

      Delete
  5. I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your writing very much! share we be in contact more approximately your post on AOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need an expert in this area to solve my problem.
    Maybe that’s you!

    ReplyDelete