Flickr Widget

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fostoria Pine

When I posted about the new tea cart/bar a few days ago, I mentioned that I needed new wine glasses, and someone recommended that I give Fostoria a look on eBay. I remembered my grandmother having Fostoria stemware when I was a child, but that was the first time I had thought about it in years.

I was immediately taken with the Pine pattern and made an offer on three glasses. The seller accepted my offer, and the glasses arrived yesterday. As soon as I complete sets of wine and cordial glasses, I plan to start buying contour snack plates.  The Pine pattern, which was introduced in 1953, is a botanical etching which manages to have a tiny bit of starburst feel without really being "atomic."

The Fostoria Glass Company opened its doors for business in Fostoria, Ohio, on December 15, 1887, but soon moved to Moundsville, West Virginia, where gas and coal for the factory were more plentiful. During its first decade, the company made pressed glassware, but early in the 20th century Fostoria began to produce fine blown stemware. Soon afterwards, they began to manufacture complete crystal dinner services.

In 1924 the company raised the bar for the industry by starting a major national advertising program, which made them so well-known that they were commissioned to do custom work for officials in Washington, D.C. Fostoria provided glassware to every president from Eisenhower through the Reagan administration. 

The company was at its height in 1950, producing over 8 million pieces of glass that year, and was the largest maker of handmade glassware in the United States. However, foreign competition and failure to keep up with technological advances in their factory forced the company to close in 1986, after almost 100 years of glass making.

From fostoriaglass.org

My three Fostoria Pine glasses
Close-up of Fostoria Pine
replacementslimited.com
Fostoria Pine contour snack plate
replacementslimited.com

26 comments:

  1. Glassware is where I fall short. On knowing the different kinds, I mean.

    Mom has quite a few very nice, very fragile mid-century crystal glasses with a sort of wheat pattern on them. But how do you tell what they are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


      Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

      2w .

      Delete
  2. So glad they arrived with no trouble ;) I like that pattern. It is so delicate. Really timeless, too. It could almost be contemporary stemware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are lovely goblets. I agree with Tanya, glad they arrived safely. Another collection begins :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @1950sarh: Like you, I probably know less about glassware than anything else. So much of it originally had paper labels that are long gone, so you don't even have a manufacturer as a starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tanya and Krazy4Mod: Thanks! There's something about the pattern that seems to bridge the decades for me too. I think it will be a nice set when completed. And I love the curled lip on the snack plates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Noelle at Gray Paint Decor: Thanks! I'm glad you're stopping by and enjoying what you read. Keep coming back and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the three section Relish Dish, what I think is an Iced Tea or Juice glass a Cordial or Wine Glass and a Sherbet. All are in perfect condition - received as wedding gifts in Ohio in 1960!! I will sell all four pieces for $25 plus shipping!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have more of the wine glasses, if interested! I also have 6 matching salad plates!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this insightful material. This is a great post. I 'm going to periodically visit your blog for some new updates.
    Psychologists in Lahore

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    IV ..

    ReplyDelete