Flickr Widget

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Wire Base Side Table from Inmod

A couple of weeks ago, I was contacted by Inmod and asked to review a piece of furniture from their new Origins line, and I agreed to do so.

Today I received the Wire Base Side Table, which is Inmod's reproduction of the Charles and Ray Eames Wire Base Low Table. I must say that it is quite faithful to the original design in dimension (H 10" x W 15.5" x D 13.25") and appearance. The table was designed to be stackable or used side-by-side as a low coffee table, and because of its size, I think that would almost be necessary. Alone it could look awkwardly small, unless paired with just the right size chair or sofa.

As soon as I lifted it from the box (fully assembled, incidentally), I immediately noted its substantial weight. The layered plywood top with flat melamine surface is extremely attractive, as is the sturdy wire base. The workmanship is impressive, and the Inmod price of $179 (currently on sale for $99) is more economical than the licensed table produced by Herman Miller and sold for $205 (or Design Within Reach's $215 for the Herman Miller version), especially since, as far as I can tell, there is virtually no difference in the products. Like the tables offered by the other retailers, Inmod's table is available in black or white.

The original Eames design was inspired by the low profile of Japanese furnishings, and, according to the DWR site, was used in the Eames home for a tea ceremony including Isamu Noguchi and Charlie Chaplin.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with Inmod's Wire Base Side Table. It will go upstairs in my grandsons' gameroom, where it will fit perfectly between two low-slung kids' chairs. If this piece is representative of their classic mid-century Origins line, I can't wait to see more!





Note:  I partnered with Inmod for this post and was encouraged to provide an objective review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice, but I think one must actually see the Herman Miller table too for a comparison. Can you see this table next to the furniture you see in stores that are on steroids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My former SIL checked out the table today when he came to pick up the boys. As you know, he's very familiar with the original, as well as today's Herman Miller piece. He pointed out a few differences in workmanship, but he actually conceded that it was a nice table, and for budget-minded customers it's a good buy.

      Delete
    2. That's good. Many reproductions use smaller wire or tubing and cheaper finishes.

      Delete
    3. He works for DWR now, and when he first saw it, he asked me where I got a Herman Miller Wire Base Low Table...so I guess that means it looks pretty legit. :)

      Delete
  2. Dana, I have this table -- identical to the one in your pictures -- and I love it. I didn't buy it to put next to a chair though. I have it sitting in my front hall next to a free standing black cabinet. The white top makes it perfect to show off a large plain style tall teak vase and a modern silver paperweight. I think this table could be used in so many ways -- including stacking -- which has caused me to consider purchasing another one. The other color combinations that are offered for this are attractive, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add that I have the licensed table from DWR. If I had known this version was so well-made, I could have saved some money.

      Delete
    2. I bet it looks great beside a black cabinet! You're right that the uses for it are endless if you use some imagination.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's a really cute little piece of furniture...and very sturdy. I think the boys are going to love having it in their playroom. Their dad hung a new modern fan and a sleek new light fixture yesterday, so the room is really shaping up. They're already modernists at heart and point out every mid-century and contemporary home we drive by. It's definitely their style of choice, even at ages 6 and 7. We've thoroughly indoctrinated them. :)

      Delete