Flickr Widget

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Construction saga: End of the line

My construction saga is nearing an end. Baseboards and door trim went in yesterday, as did interior lighting. Floor molding will go in today. Painting of doors and trim starts today, exterior light fixtures, closet rod and shelves and the over-the-stove microwave are in the process of being hung, the shower will be grouted and the toilet will be set today or tomorrow. After that's done, all that's left to do is a little touch-up painting; then I move in and wait for countertops to be installed. As long as I have a toilet, a shower and a place for my bed, I can brush my teeth and cook in the house for a few more days. While I'm waiting for counters and sinks, the cedar overhang will be built outside, but I can be living in the apartment while that's done. I think I've reached the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not an oncoming train!

This will be my last construction post before the big reveal, and even now, I'm only going to show you bits and pieces. Here's a visual checklist of what's finished:


Fans up? Check!

Lights up in the bathroom? Check!

And over the kitchen sink? Check!

And over the bar? Check!

Cabinets installed? Check!

Shower tiled and ready to grout? Check!

Heating and air conditioning installed? Check!

A place to charge my phone? Check!

Frosted glass in the windows? Check!

Floor down? Check!

Ready for exterior lights? Check!

Fence built and crepe myrtle ready to bloom? Check!

My retro pulls arrived yesterday, so they should be on the cabinet doors and drawers soon. I bought a recessed cabinet to hide the toilet brush and plunger, and a hole needs to be cut so it can be popped in. I also bought a birch medicine cabinet to match my bathroom vanity and put a plug inside so the electric toothbrush and such wouldn't sit out on the counter. That needs to be hung too. Just odds and ends left. I'm really getting excited!

28 comments:

  1. You tease you! Glad to hear the end is in sight. Those lights look a bit Tom Dixon. Can't wait for the reveal. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a Jason to tease people with, so I had to come up with something! :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh how satisfying it must be to be at that stage, icing on the cake! Will look forward to seeing some lovely mid century furniture taking pride of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been shopping like crazy, and my post tomorrow will be about some amazing things my daughter and son-in-law have given me for the move-in, so there will be lots of "new" mid-century pieces to see when I do the reveal.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm so excited!!!! Everything looks very promising:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering I tried to do this build as economically as possible, thinking ahead to how much return on my money I can expect for a guest house/office when I sell, I'm pleased with the way it's turning out.

      Delete
  4. oh im hangin to see it all!!!...its gonna knock my sox right off I just know it!...you must be rather tickled Dana. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit that it's kinda knocking my sox off already. I'm very happy with it so far.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait for the big reveal Dana! I love your light fittings, especially the beaten metal one with the copper interior - it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one came from fab.com, and I really like it.

      Delete
  6. I see some fixtures that are going to LIGHT UP YOUR LIFE! (and mine too.... being a look-e-loo is so much fun!) This place is going to be a stunner... magazine worthy, no doubt! I know you're excited. You deserve a beautiful place that reflects who you are. FABULOUS! :-) Looking forward to seeing more. You little tease!!! Congrats, Dana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really pleased with the fixtures yesterday when they went up, even though they weren't expensive at all.

      Delete
    2. Are they Tom Dixon look-alikes? Or maybe the real thing? ooooo I can't wait.. either way.

      Delete
  7. You're KILLING me Dana! I'm so excited to see the big reveal!!!! Congradulations, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've reached that point where I'm tired of being in the planning stage, and I'm ready to get my furniture moved in and see how it all comes together!

      Delete
  8. I can imagine how awesome the big reveal will be. Love the grain of your wood floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to choose something that would tie together the birch cabinets and my walnut and teak furniture. I think this is going to do the trick.

      Delete
  9. Great choices on the lighting! I'm thinking about picking up those exact fixtures myself. That fan looks great too. What model is it? It's so hard to find good looking fans these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fans came from Lowe's. They're Allen + Roth, item #356765...really affordable, and they circulate a lot of air, even though they're 44" fans. I put in three, and two of the light kits put out great light, but one is fairly dim. I need to check the bulbs to see if that one has a different watt bulb.

      Delete
  10. Fabulous lighting choices!! Of course, I LOVE your ceiling fan - it's perfect. You must be so excited to see things coming together. This reveal will be so gorgeous. I am drooling in anticipation . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ceiling fans are really cute, but that black is going to show every speck of dust. I'm going to have to change my lazy ways and clean the blades every week! :)

      Delete
  11. How exciting!!! I cannot wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting sooooo ready to be in and get it finished!

      Delete
  12. What a fun project! If the bar is stocked you are ready to put up with a few odds and ends! Looking forward to the exciting conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bar is fully stocked with liquor, but my latest vice is mango moscato! :)

      Delete
  13. Really loving what I am seeing! Can't wait to see the whole picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nearing the end of the line - how exciting! Really looking forward to seeing the end result. Must be such a relief to know things will be finished up soon. The snippets so far look great! x

    ReplyDelete