Flickr Widget

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

And then there were two

Just what you need when you're trying to make a decision is to have another variable thrown into the mix. That's what happened yesterday when we found another house that immediately became a strong contender.

Here's what the newcomer has going for it:

  • Built in 1949
  • Very private cul-de-sac on a bluff
  • Living space: 2514 square feet
  • Lot size: .58 acre (25,264 sf)
  • Sprinkler system
  • Deck, patio and small front porch area
  • Gorgeous landscaping
  • Fantastic view of the downtown skyline
  • Built-ins
  • A round kitchen
  • An existing suite for me

Yes, that's right...a ROUND kitchen. It's the coolest thing you've ever seen, and it would be the perfect spot for a Saarinen tulip table or a Noguchi Cyclone. The best thing, though, is that it's already been restored and is move-in ready. Take a look.


Stone and wood exterior


Upper deck off living area

Lower patio in front of walk-out basement

Top tier of back yard

View from deck
(no neighbors...just woods)

More yard down that hill

Wall of windows from in den looking onto the upper deck

Formal living room
(which we would open up  into the den to make one large room)

Dining room with built-ins
(which would become a study)

Round kitchen

Kitchen built-ins

Coral and turquoise master bath

16 comments:

  1. Gardens, round kitchen(!) lovely, but I prefer the first one - even though I know it's in pretty dire condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love about the first one is that it was such a true custom mid-century home (much more so than the second one), but when I think about all the money and time we'd have to invest in repairs and construction of a house for me, I cringe a little,

      Delete
  2. I'm in love! Really, this is an incredible find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The landscaping alone makes me swoon. The other house would have to be completely landscaped from scratch, because they've let everything either die or get so overgrown that it needs to be torn out.

      Delete
  3. I think the too bad house just lost.
    Beautiful house. The lot is similar to what I had in VA and the outside of the house minus garage much the same also. Forget the rest though -- my place was no where near as nice. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lushness of the whole lot is a big selling point for me. Interesting that your house in VA was so similar.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a choice! The first one would be a labor of love, but oh my, so much labor! The second house would never have as much personality, even with the round kitchen and retro-licious bathroom, but what a lush, stunning landscape to enjoy right away! If I could afford the time and money, I'd love to bring that first house back to its original glory and create a unique, more xeric landscape to surround it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that first house is simply begging for drought tolerant native plants...grasses, yuccas, salvia, a cactus here and there. Those plants would be perfect with the style of the house.

      Delete
  5. Did I read, an existing suite for you? Fabulous! Love it and couldn't walk away from that bluff location. Whichever you choose will be incredible. Love the kitchen also. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the second house already has a perfect space for me. That's a real selling point.

      Delete
  6. That kitchen is the bomb, Dana! Wow! My Saarinen tulip breakfast table would be right at home there. :) Seriously, this place is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cabinetry is amazing. The three doors on the green side open into a huge walk-in pantry. Your table would be perfect in that room.

      Delete
  7. Love the colours, shapes - round kitchen! and of course that superb garden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is even more breathtaking in person than in pictures. I love it!

      Delete
  8. The yard and the round kitchen are fantastic, but as far as I can tell the rooms seem a bit small. I like the other house better. It has so much more character and original architectural details..and that tile!

    ReplyDelete