Flickr Widget

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Kitchen bonus

The house we're buying was built in 1950. When I met the inspector there, he said, "I don't know how you're going to feel about these appliances. They look like they came off the ark."

I had to laugh. He clearly knew nothing about the appeal of a mid-century house with its original kitchen appliances intact. I explained to him that there are people who would gladly pay more for these appliances than they would for the latest models in stores today. By the time he finished the inspection, he was starting to understand. "These things are amazing. They work like they're brand new...and they're so clean. I mean, really, really clean."

The original Chambers wall oven, with warming tray and its matching stove top with a huge griddle that lifts to reveal a broiler, all in their copper and stainless steel glory. Yeah, baby!


(The attached note told the inspector how to turn it on.)




I promise better photos when I show you the finished kitchen. These were taken on the fly so we would remember details...like cabinet placement and shapes of knobs and levers. I didn't plan to use them here, but I couldn't wait to show you. The fuzzy spots that look like damage are just my poor photography.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, can't wait for more photos. I think I'm going to love this house as much as the last ones.You sure know how to pick them Dana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will be our best house yet. It has a great layout, original hardwoods and terazzo, even the original intercom...still working, and tons of built-ins. It has two fireplaces, one brick and one we originally thought was limestone, but it turns out that it's made of huge chunks of quartz. The landscaping is great (including two Japanese maples in the front) and so many live oak trees that we haven't been able to count them all yet. Plus, we're on a bluff and have a great view of the city skyline, and we'll be able to see all the annual fireworks displays from our back yard. We can't wait to get moved in and start decorating. I have to give my daughter credit for finding this one.

      Delete
  2. We're pretty excited! The people we're buying the house from just built a new home, and they put in Viking appliances. They said they don't like them as much as they did these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This house looks exciting - and that big range and a wall oven. Green with jealousy over here!
    Cheers - CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our first time to have vintage appliances. We're pretty stoked!

      Delete
  4. Didn't you post pictures of this house when you were looking the last time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I was thinking about the 1949 house from- And then there were two it also had a downtown view.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that house was in the same neighborhood. We let that one get away, but I think we'll ultimately be happier with this house.

      Delete