Flickr Widget

Saturday, May 21, 2016

The garage apartment challenge

I think I mentioned the other day that the first thing on our list of things to do when we move into Lotus House II (aka Teddy House) is to decorate the garage apartment so we can list it on Airbnb. Here's what we're working with...one large room with a full bathroom and an efficiency kitchen, which has apartment-sized appliances, a sink, cabinets, and a pass-through bar.






And, for those of you who missed my post about pink bathrooms the other day...




The first thing we're going to do is rip out the lattice/owl and paint the bathroom walls white, then remove the carpet and put down something like this:


Golden Summer Teak
lumberliquidators.com

Next comes finding all the fun stuff...furniture, pillows, quilts, pictures, dishes, and all the other things that will turn the space into the perfect getaway spot. As you might guess, I have a few ideas.








To be honest, I'm leaning toward the neutrals.  I would work a little bit of color into the room, probably with pictures, lumbar pillows in the upholstered chairs, and towels in the bathroom, but I find that palette more restful...and isn't that what people will want?

10 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun project! I like the neutrals best too.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love looking for all the decorator items for a space. Olioboard is my new best friend.

      Delete
  2. You have great taste and all three mood boards look appealing to me. If I had to pick one, it would be the neutrals because I'd have fun changing it up with splashes of different colors depending on the season. With respect to what people want, I'll offer that I love white bed linens and towels. They always make everything feel fresh and clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like the neutrals are getting the votes. I agree about white bedding and towels, and I think they would be easier to keep bright and clean...which is probably why hotels use them.

      Delete
  3. I'm just excited to see the work as you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that I'm getting really excited about having a new multi-phase project. I've already started pinning and bookmarking things like crazy. Nothing is more fun to me than this "big picture" planning, where I'm combing the internet for absolutely everything, down to the tiniest detail.

      Delete
  4. I like the neutrals the best, too, although I have to admit that the shower curtain from the turquoise grouping is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first saw the exterior photo I thought the room over the garage would be your place. The neutral colors would be more relaxing to me. Any pictures of the yard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will definitely be a post about the yard when we get all our plants moved over there and add just a few things to the beds. I went up the steep stairs to the garage apartment and decided there's no way I'd be able to handle them for too many more years, so we decided it would be better to turn the second dining/living area (which is basically the whole north side of the house) into my space. I'll have a lot more room there, and it's a lot prettier.

      Delete