Flickr Widget

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Pink bathrooms

What I'm about to say will very likely result in my being accused of heresy, but here goes anyway. I'm not a fan of pink bathrooms. There! I've said it. I know that many mid-century enthusiasts think having a pink bathroom is the epitome of cool, and I've read many a passionate post about leaving them intact. I respect those opinions, but, try as I might to like them, they're just not my cup of tea.

I sometimes think that one reason I don't love the part of mid-century design that is considered a bit kitschy...like pink bathrooms...is that I'm a good bit older than many of my fellow bloggers and grew up in the Fifties. I can truly say, "Been there, done that. Had a pink bathroom," and I have never felt a desire to repeat that color scheme. I wasn't a pink kind of girl, even then.

That said, the house we're buying has a pink bathroom in the garage apartment. Since we've decided to Airbnb that space, we have made a decision to put our efforts into decorating it first, so we can start renting it right away. (Did I mention that I'm not a big fan of owls either?)


The pink bathroom in Lotus House II


The way I see it, we can embrace the pink and go full-on kitsch with a shower curtain like this.


DENY Domingo shower curtain
amazon.com

Or we could embrace the pink but forego the over-the-top whimsy, with a floral shower curtain like this.


DENY Garden Doodles shower curtain
amazon.com

Or we could play down the pink by choosing a shower curtain that is predominantly another color.


DENY Lottie shower curtain
target.com

However, I'm leaning in the direction of a mix of strong colors on a white background, where the pale pink is almost an afterthought. My idea is to use a thick white waffle-weave cotton as the main shower curtain and swag a geometric print to the side (or make a valance out of the print). I would use thick white bath towels and turquoise accessories


DENY Rain 9 shower curtain
amazon.com


My daughter, on the other hand, likes putting all the color on the wall, with this predominantly blue and green wallpaper, which has just a touch of pink, and using a white shower curtain.


Nana wallpaper
hyggeandwest.com


I have a strong feeling that there are mood boards in my future. What's your favorite so far?

14 comments:

  1. I also do not like a pink bathroom. Or a turquoise bathroom. Or a mint green bathroom. Too kitschy for me as well! When it comes to bathrooms and kitchens I prefer more modern than mid century modern. That said, your airbnb folks might really like that kind of thing. I'd embrace it if I were you and just go all flamingo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to research the demographics of the Airbnb customer. It may be that you're right, and marketing it as a 1950 ranch garage apartment would be smart. (Like you, I prefer my bathrooms modern, rather than mid-century.)

      Delete
  2. I agree about the pink bathroom. :( However, I like both of the last 2 pics above of you and your daughter's ideas. I think either version would look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that pink bathroom was going to be so much of a design challenge! ;)

      Delete
  3. Growing up, I had that pink tiled bathroom and the sink, toilet and tub were blue. I wasn't a fan even then, but we tried to embrace it with lots of white and a large print. I think a modern print keeps it from becoming too precious. Whatever y'all decide, I know it will be fabulous. You both have excellent taste so I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 70s, that's what we did with our two bathrooms, one pink and one green...lots of white and large print wallpaper that was predominantly other colors.

      Delete
  4. My favorite pink bathrooms snap up the contrast by adding crisp black & white or the deepest, darkest of pinks: maroon/merlot but I would really love to see that bathroom done up with the fabulous wallpaper your daughter picked. It's fun enough to channel my inner flamingo but the quality of the graphic design takes it out of the realm of pure kitsch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually found some great black and white shower curtains, which may be the way we go. That wallpaper turned out to be $190 a roll. :)

      Delete
  5. Still love pink bathrooms...also agree that B&W look great with the pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, I've seen some gorgeous pink bathrooms and some gorgeous pink dresses, but I can't ever seem to see myself in them. Even as a kid, I refused to dress in pink. :)

      Delete
  6. I like your daughter's idea Dana - I think that wall paper's fabulous! Stick that on the walls and your bathroom will come to life. It's actually quite a subtle pink IMO. I'm not a fan of pink in general, but your bathroom tiles look like the inside of a shell and I love the vanity. Not sure about mustard(?) floor - the green wall paper might help with that?
    (went with our head re house. Still looking. Will keep you posted)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that wallpaper too. I tried to convince my daughter that it might be worth the expense ($190 a roll) if it toned down the tile. (That bathroom flooring may have to be replaced.) I'm not sure she's sold on spending that much for the garage apartment. Please do keep me posted about the house search!

      Delete
  7. The pink bathrooms are a little too kitschy for me. Maybe use a clean white fabric shower curtain? If not I like the flower doodle shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Target has a great heavyweight waffle weave shower curtain in white. I bet we end up going with that.

      Delete