While fireworks are a big part of our Fourth of July celebration, I want to remind you to take some precautions. My daughter still has a scar on her left hand from a run-in with a roman candle when she was a child, even though she was being supervised by a very responsible uncle. Here are a few safety tips from Good Housekeeping:
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued safety steps, including the advice below. For the full list of precautions, visit the CPSC's website.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks. Parents may not realize that young children can suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees, which is hot enough to melt some metals.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper, because this is often a sign that they were made for professional displays and could pose a danger to consumers.
- After fireworks have burned out, douse them with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding them to prevent a trash fire.
Have a wonderful holiday, and stay safe out there!