Flickr Widget

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Philip and Kelvin LaVerne

Those of you who read and enjoyed the post Monday on Erwine Laverne and his wife Estelle might be interested to know that Philip LaVerne, Erwine's brother (who chose to spell his last name differently), and his son Kelvin were also furniture designers. They created one off and limited edition pieces, primarily patinated and sculpted bronze tables and cabinets.

They buried their hand-carved pieces for six weeks in a container of special soil that caused them to oxidize quickly but naturally. They started this in 1954, and it took them six years to perfect the process. Their pieces were sculptural yet functional, and their motifs were taken from nature and history.

Philip called their work "functional art," using a tag-line in 1960s that said, "It's not just functional and not just art. It's an investment." Their style was intentionally conservative, so their work would fit in with any style, whether traditional or modern.

From merrillantiques.com



Kidney-shaped bronze coffee table
fineart.ha.com

Upholstered bench
cristinagrajales.com

Surfboard-shaped coffee table
artnet.com

Eternal Forest coffee table
merrillantiques.com

Eternal Forest close-up
merrillantiques.com

Metamorphosis coffee table
1stdibs.com

Motion #2 small table
1stdibs.com

Basketweave low coffee table
merrillantiques.com

Close-up of basketweave design with signature
merrillantiques.com

Turtle table
1stdibs.com

9 comments:

  1. Wow, I really love all of these pieces! The detail in the close ups is truly spectacular. Thanks for the profile on these amazing artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blown away by the detail too. Thanks to my SIL for telling me about this father-son duo!

      Delete
  2. Super cool. I put a Dana question on a post that will be up in a little bit. :) Sort of like I spy but mid-century modern design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've stumped me on the I Spy question...but I haven't given up the search.

      Delete
  3. Wow, these pieces are amazing!! Really like the surfaces, I' ve always been fascinated by the effect time and the elements have on materials, I worked a lot with rust as a student. Thanks for this post:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fascinating that they buried them to achieve just the patina they wanted.

      Delete
  4. Another related dynamic duo. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and even more interesting since Philip was Erwine Laverne's brother. I read that the family was split apart by the lawsuit, and I wonder if Erwine and Philip became estranged.

      Delete
    2. The lawsuit was between Erwine and his brother Louis

      Delete