Flickr Widget

Monday, January 23, 2012

You look so familiar: Part 6 - Tulips

Although closely akin to last week's chairs with wing-style arms, these chairs deserve a category all their own in this final installment of my "You look so familiar" series. Perhaps two of the most iconic designs of the mid-century era are the DAX chair by Charles and Ray Eames and the Tulip chair by Eero Saarinen. I consider it less than coincidental that Charles Eames and Saarinen worked together on the Organic chair, to which these chairs bear a striking resemblance.

Interestingly, the 1950 bentwood chair by Real Dorica combines design elements of several of the chairs in this series. It has legs much like a stacking chair, plywood wing arms, and a separate back much like a molded plywood chair or a shell chair. Yet, to me, it belongs in this category because of its tulip shape.

Burke Tulip chairs were quite obviously inspired by Saarinen's Tulip chairs, and they often receive harsh derision as being blatant knock-offs, which I'm not sure is entirely fair. I hope this series of posts has succeeded in demonstrating that most designers, consciously or not, are influenced by pieces they consider beautiful. The work of venerated designers, such as Pierre Paulin's Little Tulip chair and Robin Day's Tub chair, clearly show more than their creators' passing familiarity with the work of those who came before them.

Even if  "new" designs are not near-replicas of earlier designs...although some most certainly are...there can be no doubt that many designers have lifted an arm design here, a leg design there, sometimes creating furniture that is little more than a composite of all their favorite pieces.

Charles and Ray Eames DAX - 1948
hermanmiller.com
Bentwood chair by Real Dorica - c. 1950
1stdibs.com
Eero Saarinen Tulip chair - 1957
moma.org
Burke Tulip chair - 1960s
vandm.com
Pierre Paulin Little Tulip chair - 1965
bonluxat.com
Robin Day Tub chair - 1967
independent.co.uk

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The Little Tulip is one of the happiest looking chairs I've ever seen! Pierre Paulin designed with such a sense of fun.

      Delete
  2. Love them all, but the Burke/Saarinen varieties are my favorites. I'm hoping to one day get a pair and a matching Knoll table to use in the breakfast room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a black Knoll tulip table that we're going to pair up with Saarinen Executive armchairs as soon as they come back from the upholsterer. The set is going to be amazing!

      Delete
  3. Wowser, every one of them. I do have a pair of the Eames' produced by Herman Miller. You wouldn't believe how I got hold of them.

    The Bentwood by Real Dorica is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds like a story I have to hear!

      I love the Real Dorica too. Isn't it hot?

      Delete
  4. This makes me so happy! I just ordered some wannabe repros, like so wannabe they aren't even repros? They are essentially plastic. I am quite excited about them. One day my house will be filled with lovely originals or first generation reproductions but for now I am happy! Extra now that I saw this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to post pictures on your blog when they come in. I want to see! I agree completely that if you love a style and it makes you happy to come home, there's no reason to wait till you win the lottery and can afford a houseful of originals. I say buy repros as placeholders and replace them as you find vintage pieces that fit your budget.

      Delete
  5. Love all these chairs but I would love to own a set of 4 of the Bentwood by Real Dorica. They are like pieces of art. Just found your blog while researching mid-century things. I've been a long time lover of the era. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog, and I hope you'll be back often. I'm with you on the Real Dorica chairs. I'd give my second-born for even one of thoses beauties...which is safe to say, since my daughter is an only child. :) But I really do think they're fantastic!

      Delete