Flickr Widget

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Travel watercolors

Not only was Ralph Rapson a gifted architect and furniture designer, he was also a very talented artist. He sketched constantly for the pure pleasure of drawing, and these sketches often became more finished drawings, rendered in pencil, ink, crayon, watercolor or felt markers.  In 2002 Afton Press published a book entitled Ralph Rapson: Sketches and Drawings from Around the World, which Rapson dedicated to his wife Mary, to document their extensive travels.

I was fortunate to find a used copy which had been inscribed by Rapson. My next purchase will be Ralph Rapson: Sixty Years of Modern Design, which is considered to be the definitive biography of the man. It is also available from Afton Press.

All images courtesy of Afton Historical Society Press


Florence, Italy

Kyoto, Japan

Lake Geneva, Switzerland

New York City, New York

San Francisco, California

Rapson inscription in my book

8 comments:

  1. I particularly like his sketches of the temple(?) in Japan and New York City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the Kyoto Temple, the largest all-wood structure in Japan.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree with you and Kylie that there's something about the New York one...maybe the starkness...that is striking.

      Delete
  3. The only picture I haven't been to is Lake Geneva. These are quite cool. My favorite thing to say, as usual I have learned something from you Dana... After I read your post about the Case Study Homes I ordered the big coffee table book with my Amazon points (free stuff haha). It is a GREAT book. Thanks for the recco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd love the Rapson book these came from. The Case Study book is on my Amazon wish list, and I hope somebody takes the hint and gives it to me for Christmas. :) As much as I buy from Amazon, I need to look into signing up for their Shop with Points program!

      Delete
  4. Fun and really interesting blog, Dana.
    My was an architect, so I really appreciate these sketches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina...and welcome! I hope to see you around often.

      Delete