Flickr Widget

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Eames walnut stools

In 1959 the Time-Life Building held the record for being the largest slab-formed skyscraper in New York. It was an ultra-modern sensation and featured a lobby with murals by Joseph Albers and Frits Glarner, as well as chairs by Charles Eames.


Eames lobby chairs
dailyicon.net


In 1960 Ray Eames was asked to design occasional pieces for that lobby to complement the chairs designed by her husband. Relying on her training as a sculptor, she created these walnut stools, which she also used throughout the house she shared with her husband.

From hermanmiller.com


Walnut stools by Ray Eames for Time-Life Building
hermanmiller.com

hermanmiller.com

hermanmiller.com

Charles and Ray Eames
ottowagner.com

9 comments:

  1. I've been crushing on those walnut stools for ages! For now, my Eames fix is their low table pictured here: http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-wire-base-table.do?sortby=ourPicks. I have this one with a white top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those wired based tables are such good design. You must be loving yours in white!

      Delete
    2. I do, Dana! I have a tall plain (empty) teak vase sitting on it. The grain on the teak is a great contrast to the white laminate and wire base.

      Delete
    3. I'd love to see a photo of it on your blog. I'm following now! What took me so long to find it?

      Delete
    4. Ha! Thanks, Dana! I'll have to write a post about that table and show how I've 'decorated' it. :)

      Delete
  2. You, of course, realize that the middle photo (novidecor) shows non Herman Miller replicas of not only the stool, but also the lounge chair and ottoman. Stool replicas are fairly easy to spot based on their finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing that out. I try not to include photos of knock-offs, but this one got past me. If I had looked more closely, I would have been able to tell by the bases of the chair and ottoman alone that they weren't the real thing. Maybe writing posts at 3 a.m. doesn't always allow for attention to detail. I've replaced that image with two from the Herman Miller site.

      Delete
  3. I adore those swivel chairs for the Time- Life building in that first pic! They are so incredibly beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly are a lovely design. I can't think of anything Charles and Ray Eames designed that didn't have style and grace.

      Delete