Flickr Widget

Friday, April 4, 2014

Thrift find in my own home...well, kinda

Years ago, when I was just beginning to buy vintage pieces, I found a little trinket dish on eBay for a few dollars. I bought it because I loved the shape, not because I knew anything about the piece.

Imagine my surprise today when I ran across the same little bowl on eBay...with a $699 Buy It Now price. The seller noted that the same piece is for sale on 1stdibs for considerably more, so of course I had to look. Sure enough, there it was. The listing said "1950s Danish Jensen Organic Shaped Silverplated Trinket Vide Poche Modern Mid Century" and identified the designer/silversmith as Hans Jensen. Price: $917


1stdibs.com

1stdibs.com


I rushed to inspect my dish. Turning it over, I immediately saw "Made in Denmark" stamped on the bottom. Hallmarks, yes...but so small! Putting on my trusty MagEyes, one looked like a crown with something beneath it. A bird? Initials?  Another looked like a man holding a shield. No whale like the ones on eBay and 1stdibs.

And then I noticed something I had overlooked in my hurry to examine the hallmarks. Right underneath "Made in Denmark" it very clearly says "Stainless Steel."  Damn. 

Oh, well...I still love the shape. And I learned what vide poche means. It wasn't a complete bust.


My stainless steel trinket dish

Markings on my dish...Anybody recognize them?

6 comments:

  1. What an amusing, if not bittersweet story! That said, that's still one great piece you have, silver or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a pretty piece. It made me pause to reflect on why I thought I would like it more if I found out it was "valuable."

      Delete
  2. Ah, the almost pricey treasure! We've all been there, and I'm sure you don't love your cool stainless dish any less. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it happens to all collectors. Sometimes you pay pennies for something really valuable, and sometimes you just get your money's worth. I'd say I got more than my money's worth with this piece, because I've loved it for years, and it's no less valuable to me today than it was before I saw those listings.

      Delete
  3. At least you won't have to polish this one as much...ha! Sweet dish regardless of its value. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Not to cheapen my blog with bad punning, but there's always a silver lining, isn't there? ;)

      Delete