Flickr Widget

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The un-Dala horse fiasco

A few months ago I posted about Swedish Dala horses. As fascinated as I am by their traditional design, I simply couldn't come up with a way to make them work in my home, but I couldn't quit thinking about the plain white and gray ones from The Swedish Wooden Horse Company.

However, they are a little pricey, so I decided to look on eBay. I finally won an unfinished one a few days ago. It had a coat of primer and was ready to paint. All I had to do was pick a color. A thought hit me. Would black show up better against my white walls?


remodelista.com

My Dala horse...primed and ready to paint


That black one looked great, but the white and gray ones kept calling my name. Gray or white? White or gray? I agonized. Why was I being so indecisive? That's not like me at all.

OK then...gray. But finding the perfect gray spray paint turned out to be harder than I had anticipated, so I abandoned that idea in favor of white.

Since the afternoon was beautifully sunny, I decided it was time to paint my un-Dala horse. Rattle can in hand, I put on the first coat. Then a second. And a third. Covering the blue primer was proving to be a challenge too. So much for super-duper paint + primer.

Suddenly, the sun went behind an odd little cloud, and out came a few sprinkles of rain, which stopped as quickly as they had started. Whew! The sun peeked back out from behind the cloud, and I went inside to let the horse dry for a few minutes.

Just as I smiled about my good luck, I heard thunder and rushed out to bring in the horse and my supplies as larger raindrops began to fall. I could see a few spots that needed one last coat. No time for gloves, I hurriedly held the horse out the back door and gave it a couple of spritzes, necessitating a new manicure and making this the most slapdash paint project of my life.

 But I had thought of a perfect place for a white horse, so all was right with the world.





18 comments:

  1. That reads like something I would do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mess from beginning to end...but I got that last bit sprayed in the nick of time. :)

      Delete
  2. You chose wisely, white is the best. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I chose white or it chose me, but I like the result. :)

      Delete
  3. Love it in white! Looks great on the bright table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I decided to put it on that orange table, white was the only way to go.

      Delete
  4. Two words...Chalk Paint! You need some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. I keep saying I'm going to try it, and after this experience, I will.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Bea. Nobody would ever know I painted my hand white to get it finished in time to take pictures for this post. :)

      Delete
  6. Looks great, though the mid-way distressed paintwork in picture two is interesting too. But now you have something enigmatically unicornesque! Really great. Thinks.... could I whittle a horse? Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had originally thought I might try my hand at whittling a horse. Here's a pattern I thought I might use.

      Delete
  7. That's such a great post to Start the Day with a smile! Hughes from Ria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you something to smile about. :)

      Delete
  8. Okay, I dare you. Whittle a horse. I like this one a lot. I think it goes nicely with your bird obsession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I got this one for less than $10 on eBay, I've kinda lost my incentive...but I may take your dare and whittle something else soon. :)

      Delete