Flickr Widget

Saturday, August 6, 2011

The littles

Lately I've developed a fascination with small Dansk candleholders, the ones that hold the 1/4" tiny tapers. So far I have four of the onion-shapes, all of which are marked "Dansk Designs Denmark" and were designed by Jens Quistgaard in 1957. These candleholders are surprisingly heavy for their size and have an interesting chamfered base that allows them to sit straight or at a tilt. Interestingly, one set is slightly smaller than the other, and I haven't found any information to explain when the change in size took place. The larger is about 2 1/2" tall, and the smaller is approximately 2 1/4" tall.  I also have two leaf-shapes that are 2 1/4" long. They are designed by Gunnar Cyrén, who worked for Dansk from 1970-1976.

.
My Dansk onions (by Jens Quistgaard, Denmark, 1957)
and leaf candleholders (Gunnar Cyrén, Japan, 1970s)

I've found another style of the small Dansk candleholders...a bird design also by Gunnar Cyrén.  I think they would look good in a grouping with the onion and leaf designs. To buy or not to buy...another tough decision.

Dansk bird candleholders (by Gunnar Cyrén, Japan, c. 1970s)
ebay.com

6 comments:

  1. They're beautiful. Now I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for them. Thank you for the info once again Dana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Midcenturymadam: What I love most about them is the heft for their size. Such quality! I think you'd love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen any of these. Thanks for showing them off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @DearHelenHartman: I always love showing off my finds and seeing everyone else's. We all need excuses to go out and buy more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought one of the cast iron candle holders from the shop about a month ago.

    At the time, I had never heard of Quistgaard. Now I'm obsessed. I really love his designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nick Wills: I'm a Quistgaard fanatic too. I love it all...the teak, the cast iron, the silver plate, the enamel. The man designed some beautiful pieces.

    Have you see this clip? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xVo5_t5rNU

    ReplyDelete