Flickr Widget

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

More perfect plantings

Back in September, I posted about houseplants that were common in the 1950s and 1960s. That particular post has consistently stayed at the top of my "Most Popular" list ever since, so I thought readers might enjoy a look at other plants which complement mid-century decor.

What kind of planter you choose is important too. Many sleek, modern pots are available today in a variety of materials, such as ceramics, metals and bamboo. For the health of the plant, as well as for aesthetics, the pot should be proportioned according to the size of the plant. If you're not sure what size to buy, your local nursery will be glad to make suggestions. I still love a great bullet planter, which is a good seller at our shop,  but there are many other styles that look right at home with your other mid-century decor.

My personal preference is one large, dramatic planting in a room rather than several small ones, but groupings create a spectacular look if you have a long expanse of wall or windows. I've had countless houseplants since I moved into my first apartment in the late 1960s, and here are some I've had success growing and can highly recommend, even to the novice indoor gardener.

All images from theplantpeople.net unless otherwise noted

Yucca
Ficus alii
Ponytail palm
Fiddleleaf fig
Dracaena marginata
Straight marginata
Yucca bush
Cactus

The sky's the limit on how much you can spend on a planter for your modern home. In addition to these beautiful pots from The Plant People, a commercial interior plant service in the Washington, D.C. area, I've found some great buys at CB2 and Lowe's.

Bamboo squares
Tall metallic with a slight curve
Classic flare
Sleek pinched style
Bullet planters from our shop
mid2mod.com
Flat poly/resin planter (great for succulents)
Marked down from $49.95 to $19.95!!!
cb2.com
Wood planter
lowes.com
Clay planter
lowes.com
Glazed ceramic planters
lowes.com

10 comments:

  1. So pretty but in my house they'd be shredded by the kitty who thinks she is a jungle cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @DearHelenHartman: I understand. I have to protect my plants from my 22-month-old grandson, who is fascinated with potting soil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always lean toward the yucca style plants myself. Loving the bullet planters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rhan: I love yuccas too. Along with sansevieria, they can be ignored for weeks and do beautifully. You can't get much more trouble-free than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! I didn't know about half of those plants. Now I want/need a Marginata!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Beccalina: Dracaena marginata is a great plant. The red-edged leaves are really gorgeous. I think it's easy to care for, because it just needs moderate water and likes to dry out between waterings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I have missed your blog. I finally have some internet access overseas and wanted to pop over. I love these plants. Esp. the cacti.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tanya: And I've missed your comments! But I know you've having a great experience...well, except for the exploding computer and lack of internet access. :) Nice to see you back in the loop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. About the only thing loving this TX heat are my yucca canes, cacti and various other succulents. I've been watering them once or twice a week since this heat wave began and almost all of them are looking good in my front yard and inside, my snake plant and Dracaena marginata are getting big in my CB2 galvanized planters. Chiasso added these retro-redo, brightly colored, fantastically priced planters a few months ago...

    http://www.chiasso.com/store/item.aspx?DepartmentId=81&ItemId=56421

    ReplyDelete
  10. @AprilAries: I love those big CB2 galvanized planters! I meant to buy some but procrastinated till they were all gone. :( The Chiasso ones are really cool. I like the small tabletop ones as an alternative to big bullet planters. Thanks for telling me about them. I've found some great buys at Chiasso in the past, but I hadn't checked their website in a while.

    ReplyDelete