Flickr Widget

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fifty years from now: Paolo Alves

Paolo Alves
Brazilian architect and furniture designer Paolo Alves is among the young designers whose work I believe will be considered "classic" fifty years from now.

Alves received his education at Brazil's São Carlos Engineering School of São Paulo University. In 1992 he joined the studio of architectural icon Lina Bo Bardi. He now designs for Marcenario São Paulo.

His work is influenced by his engineering background, but at the same time, it demonstrates a search for a poetic form that is not bound strictly by function. Some pieces are fluid, while others are angular and geometric, but all are striking in their simplicity and beauty.

From marcenariasp.com.br

Vila Nova coffee table
marcenariasp.com.br
Atibaia chair
portalcasa.abril.com.br
Sereia lounger
marcenariasp.com.br
Pedra stool
marcenariasp.com.br
Cercadinho cabinet
tipsdecor.com
Floresta bookshelf
factorychic.com
Guaimbe table
marcenariasp.com.br
Guaimbe bar
arquivocontemporaneo.com.br
Cogumelo table
arquivocontemporaneo.com.br

8 comments:

  1. Have you ever noticed that all designers try their own design at the bookshelf and they always look so awkward, although pretty. Sometimes they slant, some make towers, some make book trees, none of the designs become popular because they don't seem very functional. I wish someone would come up with the magic bookshelf that held a ton of books and looks awesome. I need a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're on to something. Maybe such a thing doesn't exist. No piece of furniture is as boring as a purely functional bookcase. When you come right down to it, it's just some horizontal boards supported by some vertical ones. I guess all designers hope to find the magic you mentioned and create something that looks good while doing the thankless job of bearing the heaviest load in the house, but so far, no one seems to have come up with the perfect idea. As a former English teacher and librarian, I am loath to give up my print books, but in this age of Kindles (which I use now that I'm older and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be), I suspect the workhorse bookcase will eventually become obsolete.

      Delete
  2. Great info Dana, and yes, we also think that his pieces will be around for a long time and considered collectable in the future. As many new designers, he seems to have taken inspiration from his modernist predecessors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many promising young designers today, and, as you said, many of them do seem to have been inspired by some of our favorite mid-century designers.

      Delete
  3. I love the credenza and the cocktail table even though they seem to have some attribution to previous designers. I can appreciate new designers "tipping their hats" to the ones that came before them, but I'd like to see some more original takes...Just one guys opinion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I did the series of posts called "You Look So Familiar," I became aware of just how much the mid-century designers "borrowed" ideas from each other, so I guess it stands to reason that the youngsters borrow from them. :)

      Delete
  4. The credenza is a showstopper. I also find the Via Nova attractive in its simplicity.

    By the way, I read about the tornado in the Fort Worth-Dallas area. I hope that you or any of your loved ones were not affected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're all safe and sound and suffered no property damage. I was in Fort Worth all day, and most of the serious damage occurred in just to the south and the east of Dallas. I didn't even get any high wind or hail at my house, although it rained like crazy!

      Delete