Flickr Widget

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Speaking of Flygsfors...

I was looking on eBay a couple of days ago for nothing in particular...just casting a wide net and hoping to find something interesting. Lo and behold, I found a much larger version of the pink and purple Flygsfors bowl I featured in yesterday's post. This beauty is 11 inches long and is a gorgeous white and clear art glass delight that should be a wonderful addition to our store. I can just imagine it on a long, sleek coffee table.

Flygsfors Glass was founded in Sweden in 1888 by Ernst Wiktor Lundqvist and August Zeitz. The company began making tableware in 1930 under the name AB Flygsfors Glasbruk. Paul Kedelv left Orrefors in 1949 to work for Flygsfors. His Coquille range is by far his best known design. He left the company in 1956. Flygsfors was bought by Orrefors in 1974 and closed in 1979.

I have found the Coquille bowls in three sized so far...the small size, like the pink and purple one, which is approximately 5" long, the 11" size and a huge size almost 17" long, which I have seen selling for almost $2000.

From 20thcenturyglass.com


11" Coquille bowl by Paul Kedelv for Flygsfors

***************

My SIL is doing another big giveaway on our Facebook page
This time it's a cool gray Womb style chair.

The lucky winner will be announced on Sunday, April 15.

9 comments:

  1. Love having a perusal on eBay, nice find, so curvy and swoon worthy.
    You need to continue the long, sleek coffee table storyline because I was beginning to be transported to Mid Century heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that mean there may be a career opportunity for me as a teller of naptime stories to adult mid-century lovers? :)

      Delete
  2. Classic! And yes there would be, is! I'm all ears :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My storytelling skills got a little rusty after my daughter grew up, but now that I have the two grandsons, I'm getting a chance to hone them again. I had forgotten exactly how much practice you get. Grandson #1 never tires of saying, "Tell it again, Grammo. Tell it again!"

      Delete
  3. Why, yes, I WAS just speaking of Flygsfors... I believe I was swatting the air and asking why did God make all these Flygsfors? No more leaving fresh fruit out around my house - unless I had a bowl that gorgeous to put it in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the looks of this bowl definitely would make it worth putting up with a few pesky flygs. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I can't wait for the package to arrive! I'm so excited.

      Delete
  5. Hehe, I hope I can win the Saarinen chair. I am absolutely in love with mid century modern design and this chair is a beautiful classic design. Let me win please! I am even a moderator for a MCM Design community on livejournal and I'm extremely passionate about this stuff. It all started when I found some vintage interior design books from the 50's and 60's when I was a teenager. Ever since then I've been hooked on the beautiful organic lines of mid century modern furniture. This chair, the womb chair, is definitely one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete