Flickr Widget

Monday, April 9, 2012

Unexpected new interest

I never thought I'd be interested in paperweights, but when a friend of mine inherited a boxful, I realized how exquisitely beautiful they can be. I think I've fallen in love.

I knew nothing at all about art glass paperweights, so I started doing research when we took several on consignment. Luckily, most of them were signed and dated by the artists. Unfortunately, many of the signatures were difficult to read, so there was a good bit of Google trial and error that went into identifying them. Thank goodness for the "Did you mean...?" feature.

Here are a few of the ones by well known glass artists. They sparkle like little jewels mixed in among the pieces of Blenko on our lighted shelves. There was also one small bowl by Swedish glass artist Paul Kedelv for Flygsfors among the paperweights that is perfectly brilliant in color and shape.

Sparrow paperweight by Joe St. Clair
Steven Correia frog encased in frosted white paperweight
Signed and dated limited edition 46/200
Robert Eikholt signed and dated large jellyfish paperweight
Robert Eikholt signed and dated  paperweight
with metallic gold exterior and a tiny encased tornado
Matthew La Barbera signed and dated purple striped paperweight
Fire Island Studio 
Coquille bowl by Paul Kedelv for Flygsfors

12 comments:

  1. It's amazing the things that can be done with glass. While not a collector I always look at the different patterns in paperweights and vases etc when out thrift shopping. Another interesting collection I've seen is marbles, I find it interesting how small and intricate they can be especially the really old with carved sulphide animals inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were several marbles in the box of paperweights my friend inherited. I haven't started researching them yet. Amazing stuff, glass.

      Delete
  2. They are beautiful! I have 6 of them, and have to turn away when I see them now! Anything glass calls to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a glass nut too. If I weren't careful, it could take over my house.

      Delete
  3. Those are gorgeous - like little gems. No wonder you're smitten! It's always nice to find a new interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely? Just what I needed though...another vintage item to love. :)

      Delete
  4. Once again I'm learning from you. Thank you for sharing these. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning right along with you on these. I still have several more to research. Glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  5. They look amazing, especially the Jellyfish and the Coquille.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jellyfish is just gorgeous...and stay tuned for more Coquille news. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow what a find. How lucky. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never gave paperweights much thought before now, but they really are quite beautiful, I think.

      Delete