Flickr Widget

Saturday, June 23, 2012

In the store: Surfaces and seating

Lately we've been buying quite a bit of new inventory, but most of it has been project pieces that are either being restored now or are in line to be refinished or reupholstered, so I haven't posted pictures in a while. We finally picked up a few things that didn't need restoration and went straight to the floor.

Just yesterday morning my SIL picked up this Knoll Cyclone table by Isamu Noguchi. It's a real beauty in excellent original condition which had been used in the break room at a local doctor's office for decades.


Knoll Cyclone table by Isamu Noguchi

Here's a great little Danish tea cart in teak that will soon have new casters. The top lifts off to be used as a tray. I had one similar to this before I got my larger glass-topped one, and I loved it. Whoever gets this one will have a little gem.


Teak tea cart with removable tray

These Danish cane-backed chairs are in great condition. I love the angled backs. If these were mine, I'd reupholster the seats in a heavy, nubby fabric and then put some sort of low, eye-catching table between them.


Danish cane-backed chairs

This is a very early Knoll Tulip table by Eero Saarinen. It has some edge wear, but at the moment we're not planning to have it refinished. This is the type piece some serious collectors prefer in original condition, so we'll probably leave the restoration decisions to the buyer.


Early Knoll Tulip table by Eero Saarinen

Paul McCobb lovers will recognize this Planner Group desk and chair immediately. The iconic pair will probably be sold quickly, as they are in high demand.


Planner Group desk and chair by Paul McCobb

The  pièce de résistance is this huge Royal System wall unit by Poul Cadovius. This baby is massive and takes up a huge section of wall in the store. It was bought in Denmark in the 1960s by a friend of my SIL's family.


Royal System wall unit by Poul Cadovius

8 comments:

  1. That's it! I'm swimming over and stealing the wall unit and the tulip table! And I'll stuff those ice buckets in my pockets when your back's turned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you bring Horsey and Eustace to distract us with clever conversation, I'm sure you'll get away with it. :)

      Delete
  2. I will drive the get away car for dibs on the drinks trolley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cinches it...We're going to have to open a branch in Australia...or move there. :)

      Delete
  3. That Cyclone is amazing. Now I'll have to take note of my doctor's office, I might just spot one. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what you're going to find in the most unlikely places. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh good Lord, that Royal System wall unit makes me weak in the knees.

    I've never in my life seen a Cyclone table but coincidentally, there was one on Apartment Therapy today. It makes my heart beat way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge Noguchi fan, so I've always loved the Cyclone table from afar. To actually have one in the store now is amazing. Isn't that wall unit completely out of this world?

      Delete