Flickr Widget

Monday, June 25, 2012

Michael Lax

Michael Lax (1929-1999) was born in New York and graduated in 1947 from the New York School of Music and Art. In 1951 he graduated from Alfred University, where he had studied modern ceramics techniques.

In 1954 he won a Fullbright Fellowship to Finland, where he studied Scandinavian design just as it was becoming popular. In 1956 Russel Wright hired him to work on a series of dinnerware designs. After working for Wright, he freelanced until 1960, when he started working on a line of enameled cast-iron cookware for Copco, which was noted for bringing a Scandinavian flair to American design. His 1962 teak-handled teakettle is one of his most famous designs. He continued to work for Copco through the 1980s.

Also during the 1960s he created the Lytegem lamp for Lightolier, which is part of the permanent design collection at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. He also designed for Dansk, Rosenthal, Salton and Dunbar Glass.

In 1977 Lax received a Rome Prize for studing art at the American Academy in Rome. He moved to Italy in 1984 to pursue a career in sculpture. He set up a studio in Pietrasanta to work in marble and cast bronze.

From nytimes.com



Raymor Capri by Hyalyn
moderntimes.1stdibs.com

Raymor Capri martini pitcher by Hyalyn
modish.net

Copco teakettle
papermichelle.com

Copco fondue set
etsy.com - kibster

Primaries casserole for Iroquois China
etsy.com - zetro

Vase by Hyalyn
modish.net
Lytegem high intensity lamps
lightolier.com

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think, of all the photos I've ever posted, this one puts my decorating on the mid-century timeline more than anything else. I had that teakettle in blue when I first set up housekeeping, and it was just a teakettle...no more historically significant than one we'd buy at Target today.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh thanks for this post! While I'm familiar with the Copco enamel items, I have never seen the other pieces. I'm in love with the Hyalyn vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until I did this post, I was unfamiliar with the Hyalyn pieces too, and I've fallen in love with every single piece. I'd give anything to find some of those bowls with handles.

      Delete
  3. I love the Lytegem lamps; they are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for any kind of eyeball lamp, and I'd love to have one of the Lytegems on my desk.

      Delete
  4. You just identified a bowl that has been sitting in my bookcase for a few years. I found it at a local rummage sale for a dollar!! Copy and paste to the link below to see it. Thanks Dana! I've always loved it but now I love it even more.
    I love the Copco teapot. I had one too, back in the day.

    http://cgi.ebay.fr/Vintage-50s-Raymor-Hyalyn-Capri-Ceramic-Sculptural-Dish-Bowl-Michael-Lax-/190673132986?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c65011dba#ht_500wt_1156

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's so cool when something I've posted helps identify a piece someone has had for a while or is thinking about buying. Lucky you having that great bowl...and for $1. Amazing! I love it!

      Delete
  5. Wow! All really good stuff. I'd love a set of that Raymor Capri. Actually, scratch that. I'd like it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my sights on some of that Raymor Capri too. I just checked eBay and no such luck! :(

      Delete