Flickr Widget

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Room screens

I love room screens. I've never been able to figure out why I'm so fascinated by them, but I've worked them into my decorating scheme on and off...sometimes successfully, other times a little clumsily...ever since I had my first apartment.

Screens require the right type of space, as well as the right amount of space, in order to fit seamlessly into a room. Otherwise, the look seems contrived. But when they're well designed and placed in just the right spot, they're magical.


Screen by Greta Magnusson Grossman for Glenn of California, in situ
r20thcentury.com

Greta Magnusson Grossman screen
wright20.com

Eileen Gray in her rue de Bonaparte apartment with a Block Screen
designmuseum.org

Eileen Gray Block Screen
pedrosilman.com

Eileen Gray Block screen in white
1stdibs.com

Eames folding plywood screen
designquest.biz

Eames folding plywood screen
1stdibs.com

Alvar Aalto room screen
bonluxat.com

Alvar Aalto screen
1stdibs.com


Click our logo and cast a vote
to help Mid2Mod get a
FedEx Small Business Grant.

6 comments:

  1. The plywood screen is marvelous, and so unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who has one, and it's even more beautiful in person.

      Delete
  2. I love ALL the furniture in that first pic!! I've always had a weakness for the Aalto screen, it's so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Greta Magnusson Grossman desk in the first photo is another one of my favorites. I have a weakness for all things Aalto, so of course the screen is one of the things I'd love to have.

      Delete
  3. We have an Eileen Gray block screen at the Va. Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just ran across a photo of a Block screen in white that sold recently on 1stdibs. I think I like it even better than the black one. Very interesting design.

      Delete