Flickr Widget

Friday, February 7, 2014

Step up

Nothing grabs my attention when I enter a room like a dramatic modern staircase does. Interestingly enough, I've only lived in one two-story home in my life. I found that no matter where I was, whenever I needed something, it was always on the floor where I wasn't, so I don't intend to live in a house with more than one floor again...but I can live vicariously through those of you who do.


bodew.com

sharedesign.com

domvstyle.com

sharedesign.com

houzz.com

jaybean.com

oregonlive.com

clubflyersmag.com

steelstairs.com

8 comments:

  1. I love all of these. Although, my first thought was, "Every single one of these staircases would kill a small child." But no one said good design had to be child friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, small children AND old women. I wouldn't want to think about going up and down those stairs every day. I don't even like getting up on a step ladder anymore!

      Delete
  2. These are all beautiful, but I'm with you Dana... after we move from here I will not live in a multi-level home again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Past a certain age, almost everybody I know decides to go back to a single-story house. Negotiating stairs simply isn't practical anymore.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic stairs. The clubflyersmag is really cool. We had a big fancy cast iron one in our fire station. It was always faster to slide down the pole though than use the stairs. I never minded living in a 2 or 3 story house. Much quieter than a single story unless the single story is huge. Maybe when I reach 90 or 100 I may think differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in my 30s when I lived in a two-story house, and I have to confess that I really didn't like vacuuming stairs or carrying laundry up and down. I'm 65 now, and oddly I have no problem climbing stairs, but coming down stairs is painful on my aging knees. I'll just content myself looking at photos from now on.

      Delete
  4. No way these would pass the building codes. Don't know how they get away with these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that some of them look dangerous as hell. That's why I'm just looking and not climbing them! :)

      Delete