Flickr Widget

Monday, October 18, 2010

One last thing about the free stuff

Saturday we picked up the last two loads of free furniture left over from my friend's estate sale, and I got excited all over again.  We filled my workshop to capacity, and we plan to have a big sale of our own in a couple of weeks.

I thought my daughter and son-in-law were going to take several pieces, but as it turned out, I got to keep everything.  I suppose it was an unselfish, motherly gesture to offer them anything they wanted, especially since my wonderful son-in-law did all the heavy lifting, but my greedy little alter ego was secretly delighted when they didn’t take some of the things I was coveting.

The huge Van Hoople picture that I was certain would be hanging behind the their sofa right now is prominently ensconced behind my own, and the blonde bookcase has been repurposed into a small bar/glassware display.

After more discussion with my daughter yesterday, I learned that she may actually want the blonde bookcase, although she thinks she might prefer the bottom section of the china cabinet, which was not a piece I needed. Naturally, if she chooses the bookcase, my motherly instincts will kick in again, and I'll gladly let her have it.  After all, this was a windfall, and it should be shared.  To be honest,  I get almost as much pleasure seeing their 1950-built house evolve into a mid-century gem as I do decorating my own. For now, though, the little bookcase looks great in the corner of my dining room.

I promise this is the last time I'll post about the free stuff.  It really is kinda tacky to keep rubbing it in, isn't it? ;)

Van Hoople painting over my sofa

Blonde bookcase repurposed as bar

No comments:

Post a Comment