Flickr Widget

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kitschy clocks

Before we became surrounded by clocks on microwaves, stoves, and the carry-it-wherever-you-go cell phone, kitchen clocks in the 1950s had a prominent place on the wall. They were usually colorful and sometimes tended to be on the cutesy side...what we now categorize as kitschy. For as long as I can remember, my grandmother had a green Dr Pepper clock in her kitchen exactly like the one in the photo below. Her father had owned a grocery store, which was later run by her brother, so I'm sure that's where it came from. I have a Russel Wright ceramic clock similar to the one in the Design Within Reach photo. Do you still have a kitchen clock, or do you consider them obsolete?

Here are several examples of vintage and reproduction clocks that are typical of what you'd find on kitchen walls back then.

retrotogo.com
amazon.com
ebay.com - fricknbrickn
amazon.com
dwr.com
etsy.com - oddznendz
mnmagine.com
ericwrobbel.com
icollector.com
retroon8th.com

12 comments:

  1. Ohhh... I want the clock fourth up from the bottom! It's gorgeous. They're all gorgeous, but that one has some extra swagger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Flo: I love that one too...and the one right underneath it. The yellow one almost has a countertop Formica look, and I really like the perforated metal of the white one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would a whole wall o'clocks be out of order? Love them all but have to say I've owned multiple Kit Kat repro clocks (from the real company) They are not inexpensive but they fall apart easily. My Aunt Bette had one forever and ever in her kitchen and it never fell apart. Wish I knew what happened to that clock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @DearHelenHartman: In my opinion, you can never have enough clocks. I'm in the planning stages of putting together a wall o' George Nelson clocks in my living room, and I'd probably do the same thing with kitchen clocks if I had a place for them.

    I remember Kit Kat clocks so vividly from my childhood. In fact, I even remember where I saw my first one...at a Toddle House restaurant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely clocks ..the yellow ones are so cheerful

    I always wanted to inherit my grandfather's mechanical copper and brass clock....my uncle gave it to an old stuff reseller...i wish he had asked me before doing that :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next to lamps and radios, I love clocks!

    I have one built into the wall, came with the house, hope to get it running again. But in the meantime, I bought a pink one for my kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the clock post. Love my red Telecron wall clock like the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved those Kit Kat clocks. They're a bit "kitsch", so I always end up passing them over when I find one for sale, but invariably end up regretting it.

    Follow me @ http://midcenturymidwest.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. @nickarmadillo: My decorating style doesn't include pieces quite that kitschy either, but what's not to love about the Kit Kat? I already plan to buy one for my grandsons when they get a little older. I think they'll love it as much as I did when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a variety of styles! The cat is a perennial favorite of mine - even if a bit campy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I considered bidding on one of those chef clocks but willpower won.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @I dream lo-tech: It seems I have to exercise the most willpower where clocks, lamps and vases are concerned.

    ReplyDelete