Flickr Widget

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Pssst...It's called crotch.

Crotch (also called crotch veneer or flame veneer) is a flame-shaped pattern of grain with occurs when a trunk or heavy branch with two forking branches is cut through its collective center. It is a highly prized veneer cut from just below the fork. It always produces a highly figured V-grain of an extremely decorative character.

From buffaloah.com


Cabinet by Cees Braakman for Pastoe, 1950s
1stdibs.com

Andre Sornay bar, 1950s
1stdibs.com

SMF secretary bar with dropfront desk, 1950s
1stdibs.com

Wall-mounted Sven Langkilde rosewood cabinet
1stdibs.com

Custom rosewood, iron and glass cabinet, 1960s
1stdibs.com
Credenza - Our store

10 comments:

  1. Seriously?!? That is too funny - but good to know. My mom has a piece with that type of teak grain and I can't wait to work it into conversation . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's what they're called. No wonder it was so hidden to me. ( :

    The Andre Sornay bar is to die for.
    Your credenza looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tanya: I can't wait to hear how you bring it up...and how she reacts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @I dream lo-tech: I suppose it's not exactly the most frequently used furniture term...:)

    I have a post devoted to Andre Sornay coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great info...carpenters in India use stains to give that kind of finish on mdf nowadays...i never knew it was sought after :)...interesting etymology

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fact I already knew, which tells you the kinds of people I hang out with lol...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sudha: I thought it was interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @1950sarh: I already had you pegged as a bit of a rowdy...just like me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha... you know what, looking at it, crotch makes total sense!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Flo: It really does...but it still surprised me. haha

    ReplyDelete