Flickr Widget

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mine, all mine

My SIL sells vintage stereos almost as quickly as he can get them into the store, so when I saw this vintage Curtis Mathes at an estate sale the other day, I picked it up for $100. While most of the stereos we sell in the store have a lids that lift, this one has a solid top. The tambour doors in the front slide open to reveal the radio and Garrard turntable, all in working order.

As it turned out, my daughter and I really liked it, but he prefers something with a little more Danish or German look. I decided to keep it for myself...because I have a soft spot for tambour doors, and I love that I can put my TV on top. It is now at home in the grandsons' playroom, and everyone is happy.

I listed my smaller, blonde credenza on Craigslist, and it's already generating some interest.



My new stereo/TV stand :)

8 comments:

  1. @1950sarh: Thanks! In addition to the tambour doors, another thing I love about it is its story. It's a Curtis Mathes, which was manufactured in the Dallas,Texas area. Back in the day, the company ran an ad campaign saying they were "the most expensive brand and darn well worth it." The company enjoyed its heyday from about 1957-1982. I like having a little piece of local history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely lovely!! its really cool ..the tambour doors are a show stopper

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sudha: I love tambour doors so much that I'd have them on my car if I could. :) I'm so glad my SIL let me keep it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowser! I would have kept this too, good call.

    My folks had a B&W TV with tambour doors back in the 60s-70s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omigosh! You got this for how much?!?! And it works?! Geeez, why-oh-why don't the picking gods smile upon ME like this?! It is breathtakingly GORGEOUS. So jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @I dream lo-tech: I don't have a date on the stereo, but I'd guess it's from the 60s, like your parents' TV.

    I thought about you today. I was in an antique mall and saw what appeared to be a very old Underwood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sponge Curlers and Cupcakes: It amazes me how many stereos my SIL has found...and sold...that are in perfect condition and great working order. For some reason, people have tended to hold onto them, while they've replaced their TVs. He's found them all at estate sales, which is where I found this one. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you run into one!

    ReplyDelete