Flickr Widget

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Norwegian Icons exhibit

The Norwegian Icons exhibit will open Friday, May 23 at the Openhouse Gallery, 201 Mulberry Street in the Soho district of New York City. After successful showings in Olso and Tokyo, this collection of furniture and decorative arts will showcase Norway's contribution to mid-century Scandinavian design. Also shown will be multiple works of art by Anna-Eva Bergman and Edvard Munch.

The exhibition is curated by Fuglen and Blomqvist and will run from May 23 through June 1, Monday-Sunday 11 a.m. till 7 p.m. Admission is free, and all objects are for sale.

Text and images from norwegianicons.com


Alf Sture, 1941

Hiorth og Østlyngen, 1953

Birger Dahl, 1954

Fredrik Kayser, 1955

Rastad og Relling, 1956

Arne Tjomsland, 1957

Grete Prytz Kittelsen, 1958

Arne Tidemand Ruud, 1959

Fredrik Kayser, 1959

Sven Ivar Dysthe,  1960

Hans Brattrud, 1961

Willy Johannson, 1961

Arne Halvorsen, 1962

Ingmar Relling, 1965

Jens Ekornes, 1970

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I hope you had time to go to the site and see all the pieces that will be on display. This is just a small part of the beautiful things that will be exhibited. And they're all for sale!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this post, so many new names! Gorgeous design all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of new names for me too. I don't know why we tend to overlook Norwegian design. I think it's as beautiful as anything that ever came out of Denmark or Sweden.

      Delete
  3. I went to the site and I was surprised to find lots of Arne Tjomsland figurines. I just found one of his eskimos! Did you say everything in the exhibition is for sale? I couldn't find a link to the prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always find the best things!!! I haven't been able to find prices either. I followed the "more information" link to their Facebook event page, and that's where I read that all the items would be for sale. When you click on the Purchase tab, you're taken to the Fuglen site, so that might be a source of information about pricing.

      Delete
  4. Nothing beats the timeless elegance and minimalism of Norwegian/Scandinavian design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. No amount of ornamentation and glam can match the beauty of simplicity in my eyes.

      Delete
  5. These are all beautiful but I am totally in love with the top two chairs, as well as the yellow-striped bowl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those chairs look so substantial and comfortable! I'm with you about the Cathrineholm bowls. I love the Lotus design, but the other simpler designs are gorgeous too.

      Delete
  6. Love those enamel bowls. I have a few Cathrineholm items along with pieces by makers from the 1970's. Enamel on metal is a weakness for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an enamel on copper Art Deco ashtray, and my daughter collects Cathrineholm. It has an attraction for us too.

      Delete
    2. I put up pics of my Cathrineholm pieces on this blog post http://freezeframelah.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-family-visit-soccer-and-eastern-market.html I may do a post just about my love of enamel. :)

      Delete
    3. Your Cathrineholm is beautiful! I'd love for you to post about enamel on metal. I'm sure I could learn a great deal from it.

      Delete
    4. Mostly, I buy what I like but I do have some 'names' in my collection. :) This is another post that's on my 'to-do' list.

      Delete