Flickr Widget

Friday, May 30, 2014

You've got mail...

Sometimes the smallest details are the hardest to pull off. When I first bought my 1950 ranch home, it was difficult to find mailboxes that suited its vintage exterior. Today it's a little easier to find reproductions if you can't find an original. Here are images of both vintage and new mailboxes to delight and inspire.


Vintage mailbox
etsy.com - ModPop VintageModern

Pouch mailbox from Canadian Tire
realswanky.ca

Vintage mailbox
bloombety.com

Modern reproduction
ebay.com - mailboxshoppe

Vintage copper envelope-style
bloombety.com

Postino envelope-style
umbra.com

New old stock starburst mailbox
ebay.com - atomicspacejunk88

Vintage mailbox
etsy.com - AustinModern

Nice take on an old standard
beststl.com

Another nice post treatment
moderncharlotte.com


If you'd like to help a fellow mid-century maven get his mailbox business off the ground (or, as the case might be, firmly planted in the ground), check out Greg Kelly's Kickstarter campaign.


Greg Kelly's modbox design
modboxusa.com

modboxusa.com

9 comments:

  1. LOVE the copper envelope mailbox, it has such presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the patina on that one amazing? I wonder how many years it took for it to turn such a beautiful color. Makes me appreciate getting older myself. :)

      Delete
  2. The starburst is swank. I also like the Greg Kelly, it looks like it was mad by Olivetti. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're an Olivetti man through and through! :)

      Delete
  3. Very nice. Greg Kelly should do a wall mounted design in a similar shape for those without a street box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have a vintage copper envelope. Unfortunately, the wasps loved it too much and my crazy ass husband swatted it down with a bat.
    Yes, he still lives....but he was in big trouble.
    Cool choices you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know other families have stories of overkill too. I still remember very well that when I was seven years old a bee landed on my big toe, and my mother's solution was to stomp my toe till the bee was dead. Even at seven, I knew there was something wrong with that plan. :)

      Delete
    2. They must have shared the same fear of the flying devils...he will mow down old ladies and small children to get away from one! ;) Your poor toe! LOL

      Delete